Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost Karen Hanson is the University of Minnesota’s chief academic officer, with responsibility for managing the colleges and academic units, and the policies and practices that affect the academic life of the university. These include:
- Faculty affairs, including promotion and tenure;
- Undergraduate and graduate education and student well-being;
- Interdisciplinary collaboration among the sciences, social sciences, arts, humanities, and professional schools; and
- The collegiate compact process, which determines academic investments.
- September 22, 2014: Preserving Our Curricular and Pedagogical Assets—University of Minnesota Joins Unizin
- Strategic Planning
- Open Access to Scholarly Articles policy open for review
Current Academic Focus Areas
- Strengthen the foundation of graduate and professional education.
- Enhance institutional mechanisms that encourage interdisciplinary teaching and research.
- Position eLearning activities to support teaching and learning.
- Continue attracting outstanding students and enhancing the undergraduate education experience.
- Advance a systemwide international strategy.
- Reveal and capitalize on the distinctive features of the University of Minnesota.